COVID-19 has brought drastic changes to the lives of every person, business, government and profession. The Sundance Film Festival is also being hit by this global pandemic which in recent years has not only reduced its duration to 7 days from 11 days, but has also forced the Sundance Institute to go the virtual screening route for all featured films. The film festival will take place from January 28 to February 3 and will be a completely online affair. Recently, few details have been revealed about the format of the festival and how it will reach its audiences.
Image source: variety.comIf you are a US based ticket buyer or pass holder, you can access the full program at festival.sundance.org. There are few other countries that have yet to be completed. A drive-in option and at least 1 physical screening option are also planned in the cities of Park City and Los Angeles.
Key Points – Operation of Virtual 2021 Sundance Film Festival
- There is a tailor-made virtual platform, with which the public can experience the festival in their home.
- Shift72 players will be used for the screenings.
- A pass holder’s accreditation level determines whether he will receive immediate access or must make a space request in advance.
- A 3-hour availability window begins at the scheduled start time of each movie.
- At the end of 2 days of premieres, the films will have a 2nd 24-hour screening window. This means there is more chance to watch an extra number of movies.
- The Virtual 2021 Sundance Film Festival kicks off at 6pm with online opening events (Mountain Standard Time). Every day about 5 movies will premiere from 10am
- The virtual screening capacities would be higher than the real-world versions.