Hollywood star Chadwick Boseman died on Friday. Chadwick, who played the lead role in the Marvel Studios film Black Panther, was 43 and suffering from cancer for the last 4 years.
An iconic role can change your life, but it doesn’t define a person. Particularly when that person is as interesting and multifaceted as Chadwick Boseman.
Here are 10 things you need to know about Chadwick Boseman:
1. He Has West African Ancestry
- Boseman is from South Carolina in the United States, and his parents are both African American.
- He wanted to learn more about his ancestry and took a DNA test. Not only did this test reveal that he has West African ancestry, but it also provided specific details of the ethnic groups in his ancestry.
2.Baller to Writer
Aside from being an actor, Boseman is also a writer. He wrote his first screenplay, Crossroads, after a teammate on his college basketball team was murdered. “I just had a feeling that this was something that was calling to me. Suddenly, playing basketball wasn’t as important.”
3. He Didn’t Audition for the Role of Black Panther
Boseman did not have to audition for the role of Black Panther, which he plays in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
4. Passionate about human rights
He was always passionate about human rights. He wrote his first play in his junior year in high school shortly after one of his classmates was tragically shot and killed.
5. Boseman Has Worked as a Playwright
- Boseman’s talents extend beyond his performances in front of the camera, as he is also a talented playwright.
- He wrote the script for the play ‘Deep Azure’, which was performed at the Congo Square Theater Company in Chicago, Illinois.
6. Boseman got his first-ever TV role in 2003, in an episode of Third Watch. He also appeared in episodes of Law & Order, CSI: NY, and ER while continuing to pursue his passion of writing play
7. He Kept T’Challa’s Accent Throughout The Filming Process For Captain America: Civil War.
8. One Of His Scripts Was Nominated For A 2006 Joseph Jefferson Award For New Work.
9. Chadwick Boseman was born in South Carolina in 1977, growing up in the city of Anderson. It’s a small town like essentially any other. Not exactly where you’d expect a star of his stature to come from.
10. His first starring role was in the 2013 film 42, in which he portrayed baseball pioneer and star, Jackie Robinson. In 2014, he starred as James Brown in Get on Up. Two years later, he starred as Thoth, a deity from Egyptian mythology, in Gods of Egypt.